General Engineer (High Voltage (HVE)) job in BALTIMORE
Show me jobs like this one
At Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
*Special Posting Notes:
Substation - High Voltage/Physical Design Engineer (HVE)
General Description of Position:
We have an immediate need for two mid-level to senior Substation Engineer to provide delivery of medium voltage to extra high voltage substation (4kV to 500kV) designs for our Substation Engineering group.
1. In this position, you will be responsible for engineering and designing medium voltage to extra high voltage substations (4kV to 500kV). The HVE is required to work within a multi-discipline team to design efficient and reliable electrical substations in accordance with BGE Substation Engineering & Design Quality Control Process as well as Engineering standards and procedures.
2. The HVE will be a primary Engineering Technical Point of Contact for all assigned BGE Substation Projects and/or Programs requiring the application of high voltage electrical engineering concepts and physical arrangement.
3. As a Substation HVE, you will take an active role in project conceptualization/feasibility, Preliminary Engineering & Design, Detailed Engineering & Design, Work Planning, working with Equipment Engineer in specifying / ordering / testing appropriate equipment, and project execution support.
4. The HVE is accountable to provide design activities in accordance with applicable industry codes and standards, BGE/Exelon policies and procedures, Safety, Environmental, and established Quality Assurance and Quality Control processes.
5. This position requires working in a multi-discipline project team environment with other engineers (High Voltage/Physical, Substation Equipment, Civil, Relay, Projection & Control Engineers), designers, Lead Responsible Engineers(LRE), and project managers with the associated substation projects.
6. As the HVE, you may be taking ownership of long term Substation Programs by planning the programs, high-level schedule, develop program charters/scopes, and getting appropriate approvals.
7. Take ownership and support development of various BGE Substation Engineering & Design Quality Control Process as well as Engineering standards and procedures Standards.
8. Act as a Lead Responsible Engineer (LRE)/ Project Engineer as situation demands.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
1) 4 or more years' experience in the design & engineering of any voltage (4kV to 500kV) substations
2) 3 or more years of understanding operation of and arrangement of high voltage substation electric equipment such as Transformers, Circuit Breakers, Capacitors, Metal Enclosed Capacitors, Switchgears including Circuit Breakers, Current/Potential Transformers, Arrestors, Insulators, Disconnect Switches, Circuit Switches, Battery & Charger sizing, Substation GIS equipment, or Reactors.
3) Ability and at least 2 years of experience/understanding of substation grounding design and calculations, substation physical layouts, substation bus design, station service design and calculations, substation battery & charger sizing calculations, substation direct stroke lightning protection, underground cable thermal rating, or station lighting background, etc.
4) Ability and at least 2 years of experience in working with a designer/drafter in developing scope of the project, substation one-line diagram, location plan, substation plans, grounding layout, etc.
5) Understanding of NESC/ANSI/IEEE/NEMA codes and standards as they relate to substation engineering and design.
6) Professional Engineers License or in the process of getting one is a plus.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Develops studies, plans, criteria, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, performance assessments, integrated systems analysis, cost estimates, budgets, associated with the planning, design, licensing, construction, operation, and maintenance of Exelons electric generation, transmission, distribution, gas and telecommunication facilities/systems. Provides consultation and recommendations to the Company within and to other business units and/or customers as a result of studying company or customer-owned systems, processes, equipment, vehicles or facilities. Reviews financial data from budget and actual costs of projects. Operates independently and seeks guidance when appropriate.
Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Performs engineering tasks associated with critical engineering projects or a number of small projects with many complex features.
- Performs assignments in areas where engineering precedents are incomplete, lacking or require broad experience.
- Evaluates, develops and implements projects that have moderate financial and operational impact.
- May serve as an expert for organization in a specific area or responsibility.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Licensed Professional Engineer (2) (3)
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex electrical and mechanical systems.
- Knowledge and ability to apply problem solving approaches and engineering theory.
- Knowledge of engineering designs, principles and practices.
- Five or more years of professional engineering experience (1) (3) (See Note).
- Broad knowledge and experience with regulations, guides, standards, codes methods, practices, and advanced engineering principles necessary to perform very complex or unique assignments for a specific discipline, various installations or services.
- Minimum of two related career experiences (4)
(i. e. , changes in technical job responsibilities, which may or may not include a change in department) OR
- Engineer in Training OR
-50% complete (by hours) with advanced technical degree, M. B. A. or Project Management Certification
- Graduate degree (1) or Graduate level work in Engineering, Business Administration or Project Management Certification
- Licensed Professional Engineer (2) (3)
- Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with all management levels.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
-(1) Masters degree in Engineering reduces the OJT experience requirement by 1 year.
-(2) License must be issued by the state in which you are practicing.
-(3) PE License reduces the OJT experience requirement by 1 year.
-(4) Career related experiences is defined as changes in technical job responsibilities and does not have to include a change in department
- Note: Items (1) and (3) are mutually inclusive, whereby the maximum experience requirement reduction is one(1) year (e. g. , in the case of an employee with both a masters degree in Engineering AND a PE license, the minimum experience requirement would be reduced by one (1) year).
- Influences project decisions having a moderate impact on the company.
- Applies technical knowledge to help promote a safe work environment and to enhance customer satisfaction
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster
|Position Type:||Full Time|
- Mechanical Installation Service Technician | Northeast and Southwest | Veteran Recruiting
- Associate, Business Analysis | Dorchester | Santander
- Personal Banking Representative, International Place, Boston, MA | BOSTON | Santander
- Part Time Teller, Hollis, NH | Hollis | Santander
- Mortgage Loan Officer - Santander Bank - Union County | Union | Santander